Friday, April 10, 2009

Popcorn Problems

On Wednesday night Kiana decided it would be fun to put an unpopped popcorn kernel into her ear canal. I called a friend who called a friend and we decided that it could wait until morning so as to avoid emergency room fees. What a day we had.
We took her to the pediatrician at 9:15 am. $20 co-pay, and still in her ear. Referred to an E.N.T.. Another $20 copay and he pushes it right up to her ear drum. She screams. They say we will have to put her to sleep to get it out. "We only operate on Wednesdays at McKay, which is where your insurance is for." Hello!! We cannot wait a week to get this out of her ear. So off to a different E.N.T. we go. He looks in her ear and says, "I cannot do this in my office and I am booked for the day. Let me call around and see what we can do for you." By this time it is 12pm. No one has eaten all day. Finally they schedule her at McKay Dee Surgical Center. We arrive there about 1pm and she does not go to the operating room until about 2:30 pm. Poor Girl. They did however give her a cute new blanket and a toy dog both of which she loves. She looked super cute in her hospital gown and had the whole staff in love with her. They said she did great and did not even cry. The whole procedure took about 10 mins., and recovery about 45 mins.
Then we headed from there to take me to the doctor since I have been running a fever for 4 days and that seemed outrageous to me. So all in all the first day of spring break for us was spent at doctor offices. 9 hours. All because of a small popcorn kernel. I hope she learned her lesson about sticking things in her ears.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

My goodness! Sounds like you have had quite your share of medical issues lately...if only it all wasn't so expensive! I'm glad Kiana is doing better.

Colleen said...

Kiana, Grandma loves you. I'm so glad you were good for the doctors and nurses. love Grandma

Andrea said...

That does NOT sound fun! It also sounds like something my 2-year-old would do--sticking things up his nose is a favorite pastime. Luckily, we have had a major incident yet.