Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Venting

I have had a great internal debate as to whether or not to do this post. I decided that I needed to vent so here it is. A has been struggling this year in 4th grade. I have been working really hard to get him caught up. We were just about there, when I discovered that he has not received credit for some of the assignments that I know were completed and turned in. I went to the school just to double check his desk and ask him about them. He says that he turned them in. Since I know the work was done and put in his backpack, it is not in his desk, it only leads me to believe that the teacher has lost all of this work. What do I do? It was hard enough getting him to do it the first time. Parents who have had this teacher in the past, said to make copies of everything we turn in. How do you do this without a copier in your home? I talked to the principal to set up an appt for Kevin and I to sit with him and discuss the problem. He did not want to talk to me, did not even ask me for my name, just asked what the problem was and said he would talk to the teacher. In the meantime, I am just supposed to sit here and watch my son fail the fourth grade because a veteran teacher can not keep track of assignments. How fair is that? Principals I know need to hear both sides, but they should stick up for the students and parents more often then they currently do. 26 years of teaching experience does not make you a perfect teacher.

Thank you for letting me vent. I feel a little better, but still stuck in the same hole.

3 comments:

linnellbelle said...

Good Luck!!! I would persist in talking to the principal. You don't have to sit back and let your son fail. I'd keep calling and requesting appointments until the principal decides to see you. He?She can't put you off forever. Maybe you can request a different teacher, based on "personality differences" so the ego of the teacher is protected. There are lots of options if you are still being ignored. I've heard of parents going to the school district with similiar complaints, (imagine a meeting with the principal, teacher, you, Kevin adn the district supervisor!) or switching their kids to charter schools. For us a sit-down with the principal seems to have done the trick. Good luck!!!

Sarah Empey said...

Ah, Man- that sounds like a sticky situation. I hope it gets resolved without too much grief (and extra homework!)

PS- Love the new picture of the kids!

Debra Domenici said...

I would definitely push on talking with the principal. We had a wonderful principal in elementary school that we are close to still. The school systems are definitely not what they should be. We are definitely thinking about charter school for Kenzie. My sister-in-law pulled her kids out of public school and is homeschooling them online through Maeser Academy and they love it. Good luck!